Friday, December 31, 2010

DIY d-a-y

Recently, Jordan and I have decided that we are most likely going to stay in Oxford 2 years instead of 1. As a result of God giving me a great job, Jordan loving Medical Anthropology, me getting a deferral for PA school, and us being afforded this incredible opportunity, it was a perfect storm for staying here in Oxford for another year of cream tea instead of sweet tea. 

With that being said, some of you may or may not remember some of the pictures I posted on facebook of our flat on the first day we moved in...  The luscious two-toned green carpet, luxurious green couch, mysterious stains sprinkled throughout, just your average student couples flat in Oxford.  When we moved in I kept suppressing this new found-wanna-be-homemaker in me, and kept thinking, its no big deal- we are only going to live here for one year, I'll save my decorating yearnings for when we move back home.  But with the thought of being here 2 years, I have now realized it is time to unshackle the yearning to try and spruce this place up.  I have had this one DIY project in the back of my mind and with the blessing of a little down time between Christmas and our trip to Spain, we decided it was time.

Me: "Jordan, what would you think if tomorrow was DIY day?"
Jordan: "You mean DIY d-a-y? Sounds good"

And we were off.  The project was really simple, I found an old broken frame at one of the shops here in town and fabric at Cath Kidston was on sale, so I wanted to upholster the backing on it so we could use it like a bulletin-boardish type of thing.  At one point Jordan was helping me upholster the fabric to the wood with one of those really girly little hammers with flowers all over it (it was the only tool we could pack with us) and I couldn't help but ask him, "Have you ever felt more married than right now?  Using a floral hammer to pin floral fabric to a piece of wood for a DIY project?" he just laughed and said " Well when you put it that way..."

Here is the fruit of our labor


our tag team upholstery skillz:

Anyone out there who has any suggestions, great resources or encouragement for decorating their first, rented home together- I would LOVE to hear from you!

Oh and last but not least, Happy New Years!

No comments:

Post a Comment