Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Capitol City- Matt Wertz. sike.

Wow.  The last 4 days have been incredible for Jordan and I.  We arrived to DC and finally had the chance to meet all 31 of the other Rhodes scholars.  Being a tag- along of sorts, I will admit I was pretty nervous to  meet all of the other Rhodies.  I felt like I was back at the 1st day of middle school, or awkwardly getting ready for my 1st day of sorority rush.  I was especially nervous because all of you know how quirky, random, weird comments come out of my mouth often, especially when I feel nervous... but when you are about to meet 31 of America's most brilliant people you can't have first impressions like that. Luckily, somehow I managed suppress saying anything like "You won the Rhodes scholarship huh? what a lucky time" or "Oh your from Kansas? Do you ever just feel like Dorothy?" and Jordan and I were blown away with how incredible his fellow class mates truly are.  Talk about the most intelligent, interesting, and genuine people. I have yet to have had a conversation that didn't leave me feeling challenged (in a great way) or enlightened by their presence. Each one of them has been so gracious to accept us as a couple and make me feel so welcome in this very prestigious group.  We cannot wait to start our life together in Oxford with all of these new found friends.

Besides being overly excited about all the potential friendships we have ahead of us, we have both been wowed by all the cool things we have seen while in DC.  One of our highlights was last night when we were able to go to the British embassy and meet the British ambassador, quite a lovely chap.   It was a great warm-up for living in the UK; there were lots of strange, bland food being passed around, enormous incredible art everywhere, beautiful botanical gardens in the back yard, and even a basset hound that greeted us promptly upon arrival.  Man, I cannot wait to cross the pond tomorrow.

After a adventure packed morning at the Capitol, Jordo and I sat and soaked up each others excitement at our last American lunch.  (Don't worry, we both ordered cheeseburgers and french fries which were served on red-white-and blue plates.. go america).  Jordan brought up a great point, it has been such a HUGE blessing for us to experience all of this together.  I think it would be difficult to hear second hand from Jordan all of the things he has been exposed to this weekend.  I just don't know that the same sense of excitement and passion would have been aroused in me.  We have both had the chance to listen to past Rhodes scholars who are doing truly remarkable things with what they have been given and both feel charged and compelled to do the same with our lives. More on that later..

Well.. peace out/ lllyas/see-ya/ ttyl and all other American ways to say goodbye.  I miss all of you a tremendous amount.

1 comment:

  1. remember when we saw matt wertz in concert and k8ie totally blew my chance of marrying him, moving to africa and starting my own adoption agency/family w him bc she yelled in the lull between sweetness in starlight and heartbreaker, "matt wertz, i want to makeout with you."
    she obviously knew there was something better for us both...
    love y'all three

    ReplyDelete